Tuesday 11 October 2011

Garden reading...

I find that when I turn the pages of certain books I am instantly immersed in their wonders. This feeling can be hard to come by especially with the large amount of drivel that is of late being shunted into the mainstream. Be that as it may I am to be slightly contradicting myself for I'm reading Andy McNab's "Immediate Action." For a feeling of wonder and enchantment, I would not recommend. But I foolishly started this as it had been collecting far too much dust on my shelf while I awaited to get my hands the book I had been bought. So I am battling through, with less than sixty laborious pages to go and then I can get back to Dickens' "Great Expectations."

I've really got into the classics recently. They have lifted a blanket off over my deprived eyes and awakened me to the tragic yet passionate F. Scott Fritzgerald novels, the politically aggressive styles of George Orwell and my favourite to date - Ernest Hemingway's "The Old Man and the Sea." A tale of an old fisherman and his struggles with honour and defeat as he strives to catch this magnificent marlin that battles with him for five whole days.

I would recommend "The Old Man and the Sea" to anyone who loves to read. So simple yet beautifully tragic. A must!

My favourite places to read are on windowsills and with company in the castle gardens, hence the pictures below...

Yours Joe
x


No comments:

Post a Comment